The quality of the closeness between parent and baby has been proven to have lifelong benefits.
Infant Massage provides benefits for both the baby and the parent and is wonderful way to enhance the unique relationship you have with your child. Evidence shows that loving nurturing contact between care givers and infants has a significant impact on their physical, emotional and mental development.
Infant Massage includes all the elements of attachment, including eye contact, smiling, soothing sounds, touch, smell and interaction.
Benefits can include:
For your baby...
- Helping your baby to feel more loved, valued and respected
- Establishing attachment - important for their long term emotional health
- Increased levels of relaxation and longer sleep
- Reduced crying and emotional distress
- Stimulation of baby’s circulation, digestion, nervous and lymphatic systems
- Development of body awareness and coordination
- Increased recognition of facial & emotional expressions which supports development of social skills
- Relief from wind, colic and constipation
- Feeling closer to your baby
- Gaining a deeper understanding of your baby's behaviour, crying and body language
- Feeling the relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage
- Providing an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby
- Increased confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby
- Reducing post-natal depression.
What to expect
Baby Massage courses are sociable, relaxed and fun. The course is open to infants from birth up to pre-crawling (it gets a little hard to keep hold of them, many are properly on the move!). Courses are run for five consecutive weeks, each class lasting up to an an hour. You will be guided through a step by step massage routine which combines a balance of relaxing and stimulating massage, reflexology techniques together with principles of yoga movement.
Having a relaxed and informal environment is hugely important so the classes are very much baby led, meaning that all baby behaviour is welcome, no matter how unpredictable!
At the end of each class refreshments are provided along with time for you to socialise and get to know the other parents on the course.
Should this not be your first baby, and you have older siblings to think about, please be assured that baby's older siblings are welcome to the class. Siblings are welcome to join the classes and learn along side their parents how to massage a baby through using one of the demonstration dolls provided. This is a wonderful way of engaging an older sibling in bonding with the new baby and has proved to be a great success in many classes.
Included in the course fee is a 50ml bottle of Organic Sunflower Oil along with a take home. On completion of the course each parent and baby is awarded a Certificate of Attendance. Definitely something to be added to your baby's keepsake box!
Don't forget the Dads!
Specifically for Dads who tend to work Monday to Friday and are therefore unable to make the week-day courses, Toe to Top Taster sessions held periodically on Saturday mornings. Dads will learn the principles of baby massage, a shortened version of the full body routine (one stroke for each part of the body). They will also be provided with a Toe to Top Manual and infant massage oil
Please note that these sessions are held on a ad hoc basis dependant on demand. So if you would like to come along, contact me to find out when the next session is arranged for, or register your interest.